My current posts:
- Professor of Clinical Microbiology, at the School of Molecular Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Nottingham.
- Consultant Microbiologist at Nottingham's University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Head, Molecular Bacteriology and Immunology Group
I have had a long-standing interest in the study of Neisseria meningitidis infections and vaccine development. My main focus is on the molecular pathogenesis of, and human genetic response to, N. meningitidis and Campylobacter jejuni. My research group and I are interested in defining the role of bacterial secreted proteins in host-pathogen interaction and have carried out extensive studies on meningococcal type I and V secreted proteins. Another area of our interest is identification of host receptors for bacterial virulence factors. We have also studied the population genetics of N. meningitidis and made significant contributions to this field. More recently, we have developed interest in studying the molecular diagnosis of Staphylococcus aureus and vaccines against Actinobacillus pleuropneumonia.
My clinical committments consist of the management of patients with infectious diseases, control of hospital infection, and participating in the professional aspects of the diagnostic laboratory at Nottingham's Unverisity and City hospitals.
In addition to giving lectures, I have had the following organisational roles:
- Founder/Director of the MSc course in Clinical Microbiology (2004-2007)
- Convener of the Advnaced Clinical Microbiology module of the above MSc course.
- Organisor and coordinator (1998-2005) of the "Medical Microbiology" course in our B.Med.Sci (Faculty of Medicine)
- Convener of the "Bacterial pathogenesis and infection" module of our M.Sc. course in Molecular Medical Microbiology (1999-2006)
National Board membership
Chariman, Research Subcommittee-Microbiology, Royal College of Pathologists (2007-)
Member, MRC-IIB; Medical Research Council's Infections and Immunity Board (2006-2010)
Member, College of Experts, Medical Research Council's Infections and Immunity Board (2005-)
Member, Specialty Advisory Committee, Royal College of Pathologists, UK (2006-)
Research Lead for Medical Microbiology (SAC), Royal College of Pathologists UK (2006-)
Board Member, Blueskies Medical Microbiology Project, Royal College of Pathologists, UK (2005-)
Senior Examiner in MRCPath Microbiology, Royal College of Pathologists, UK (2005-)
Editorial Board member, Journal of Medical Microbiology (2002-)
Member, Health Protection Agency (& formerly PHLS) Meningococcus Forum, UK (1998- )
Deputy Director of Centre for Infection (Specialist and Reference Microbiology), Health Protection Agency (Secondment 07-09)
Chairman, Clinical Microbiology Group of the Society for General Microbiology, UK (2004 -2009 )